September 15, 2010

Recipe: My Favorite Granola


Earlier this year I got on a big granola kick. But store-bought kinds contain a lot of sugar and extra ingredients that I'm not really into, so I opted to make my own. This particular recipe is a blend of a couple recipes, and I occasionally modify it as I go along. And I tend to play around with the type of sweetener each time I make it, varying it up between honey, agave, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup. But I'm really digging the taste and crunch of this right now as it is, so I think I'm settled on this mix.

It has become my go-to breakfast item as of late. My favorite way to eat it is with organic vanilla yogurt and berries, while a friend of mine says he prefers the granola sprinkled on top of chocolate ice cream. And since it's filled with healthy ingredients like oats, flax, almonds, and walnuts, I don't feel guilty about grabbing handfuls of it to snack on either.

Ingredients
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Prep
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a large baking pan and stir well. Make sure the wet ingredients thoroughly coat the mixture.
Bake for 12 minutes and then stir. Continue baking for another 12 minutes, until slightly browned.
Remove from oven and stir.
Let cool. As it cools it will stick together, so break apart into bite-size pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I can't wait to make this! Gotta pick up that brown rice syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the brown rice syrup seemed to take the granola to a whole new level. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete