September 20, 2010

Orlando Needs Trader Joe's


Even though Trader Joe's doesn't fit in with my local Orlando thing here, it does fall in line with my vegetarian and sustainability themes so it's allowed! Plus, I feel I must share the awesomeness of Trader Joe's, a grocery store that we in Florida sadly do not get to appreciate.

I was first introduced to TJ's in 2002 while visiting family friends in California (where the grocery chain originated). I didn't think much about TJ's after that since we don't have them here in Florida. It wasn't until a few years ago during a trip to Atlanta that I was reintroduced to the store. Since then I've been to TJ's in Chicago, San Francisco, and Napa.

With 344 stores in 25 states and Washington D.C., Trader Joe's is known for it's specialty gourmet and organic foods & drinks, plus household cleaners and personal hygiene products. The stores aren't flashy (though they are cute) or big (they stock about 4,000 items, compared with typical grocery stores that stock an average of 50,000 items), but that really doesn't matter since TJ's has quality products at a low cost.

Many of Trader Joe's private label items are actually brand-name suppliers that offer products at a significant discount. (These suppliers do not publicize their business relationship, but I've read that companies like Stonyfield Organic yogurt and Stacey's pita chips are just a couple of the "brands" you will find there under the Trader Joe's name.) And since TJ's buy directly from producers whenever possible, it cuts down on costs for consumers. Trader Joe's also promises that anything with their logo contains no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, MSG, and trans fats, and is not sourced from genetically modified ingredients.

In a recent Fortune magazine cover story, the store was described this way: "A Trader Joe's brings with it good jobs, and its presence in your community is like an affirmation that you and your neighbors are worldly and smart."

Unfortunately, that story also pointed out that the chances of the chain coming to the Sunshine State are pretty grim. "Trader Joe's small stores don't have much of a back room, so ordering from the distribution centers has to be precise. This distribution process helps determine where the company opens its stores. Texas and Florida have cities that boast consumers Trader Joe's covets, but insiders say the current distribution infrastructure makes it difficult for the company to efficiently get products to those states."

Thanks to my dear friends The McV's who live in Virginia, I can still get my TJ's fix. I was able to send them money and have them pick up items for me at their nearest TJ's. It was so much fun opening the package when I got home from work since I didn't know what I'd be getting (I wanted to be surprised).

My TJ's loot!
The contents of my package included:
  • Three Grains Blend (rice, barley and spelt)
  • Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
  • Palak Paneer Indian Fare
  • Organic Red Quinoa
  • Cumin & Chili Chickpeas
  • Harvest Grains Blend
  • 17 Bean & Barley Mix
  • Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal
  • Organic Tomatillo & Roasted Yellow Chili Salsa
  • Pomegranate White Tea
  • Instant Chocolate Pudding
  • Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries
  • Honey Mango Cream Shave (obviously not food)
A big thanks to The McV's!

Let's hope that Trader Joe's can figure out a way to bring their goodies down south so all of us can enjoy too. For more info about TJ's go to www.traderjoes.com. 


P.S. - I have both of these reusable Trader Joe's bags and I have received numerous comments from fellow shoppers about TJ's. Better yet, I once had a Whole Foods employee say to me how great it would be to have a Trader Joe's here in Orlando!



3 comments:

  1. Hooray!! Can't wait to hear how you liked everything. You'll probably want another shipment around the holidays - it's not Christmas without Peppermint Jo-Jo's Cookies!

    Peace, love and TJs,
    G McV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure the TJ totes are cute, but not half as cute as those British burlap Tesco bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love my burlap Tesco bag too! That has received many a compliment as well because it's so darn cute.

    And McV's, I expect a special trip to TJ's when we come up to visit later this year!

    ReplyDelete